Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Could it be, dreams do come true.

Who doesn't want a waterfront property, close to a large city, not this guy. Throw in the fact that ever since I moved to Ottawa, and made frequent weekend trips to Toronto, I would always cross this bridge and notice the rapids and thought, it would be so cool to live here. So for at least 15 years I had been driving across the bridge and zipping by my future project. For those of you who have recreational properties you know exactly what I mean, there are always projects. Fix the eaves, cut the grass, chase out the squirrels, (or raccoons), winterize, get it ready for summer, ..... The list is endless. Well when you NEED to putter, a recreational property is probably not a bad idea.

Let me set the stage, it was the Sunday before Christmas 2010, there was snow on the ground and we step out of the car in front of this white sided bungalow, and hear the rushing water. I think at this point, I am not sure what would have stopped me from buying the property. In any case, it was billed as a handy-man's special, and it sure was.

Of course, we all like to think we are handy, so "no problem", I can put some light covers on, maybe some door stops and other trim, I could even install a door handle. In addition, the roof leaked, and the septic was not working, so it might need to be repaired, or maybe even replaced. I would hire professionals for these, but otherwise I could handle it easily. Besides, I think the person selling it was desperate, it had been on the market since the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment